How can a designer use her design talents to develop and build her own project? In this interview, find out how Hilary Scruggs, founder of Operative Ventures, bought an urban lot in a blighted area of San Antonio and developed it into two modern housing units that were featured in the August 2011 issue of Residential Architect magazine.
In this episode of Business of Architecture TV, Hilary Scruggs explains:
- How she found the right piece of property.
- How she assembled her team.
- The strategy she uses to keep her business on track and heading upward.
- The unique medium she uses to market her products and firm.
- Hear her share what she learned about staying within a budget.
- Her $700 mistake that involved bamboo and a concrete wall.
This interview is on iTunes. Subscribe below, and don’t be selfish! If you know someone who would like this video, share away using the buttons to the left.
- To find out more about Hilary Scruggs’ other projects, visit OperativeVentures.com
- Watch the documentary on the Biering project at SouthtownGreenbound.com
- Sheerar Studios, the home of videographer and business consultant Geoff Sheerar.
- The architecture program at Cornell University.
- Firms mentioned: Atelier Bow-Wow and Sou Fujimoto Architects